TRADCAST EXPRESS to the rescue…
A Reply to Kennedy Hall’s Video ‘Why I am Not a Sedevacantist’
On May 26, 2023, the Canadian recognize-and-resist pundit, SSPX apologist, and benevolent beard expert Kennedy Hall explained in a special 20-minute YouTube video why he is not a Sedevacantist.
True to the video’s title, Hall does not argue that Sedevacantism is false, nor does he claim that one shouldn’t be a Sedevacantist, he merely explains why he isn’t one:
- “Why I am not a Sedevacantist… | Kennedy Hall” (The Kennedy Report)
In the month of June, we decided to give Hall’s argumentation a fair review in the “express” edition of our podcast program, TRADCAST. As there was enough material to work with, we ended up publishing our response in two episodes, numbers 174 and 175.
You can find them here:
For those who prefer these podcast episodes as downloadable audio files, here are the Soundcloud versions (to download, click the down-arrow button at the top right of each episode):
The Show Notes for these two episodes are the following:
- YouTube Video: Kevin Davis and Mario Derksen, “5 SSPX Myths Debunked? Novus Ordo Watch Answers Kennedy Hall on Catholic Family Podcast” (May 19, 2023)
- YouTube Video: Kennedy Hall, “Why I am not a Sedevacantist” (May 26, 2023)
- St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, II-II, q. 39
- Cardinal Francesco Roberti, et al., eds., Dictionary of Moral Theology (Westminster, MD: The Newman Press, 1962)
- Rev. Ignatius Szal, The Communication of Catholics with Schismatics (Washington, D.C.: The Catholic University of America Press, 1948)
- “Rethinking Peter Kwasniewski: A Sedevacantist Critique of his Anti-Papal Traditionalism”, Novus Ordo Wire (Jan. 21, 2023)
- Robert Morrison, “How the Modernists and Francis Turn Catholic Foundations into Sand”, The Remnant(Nov. 16, 2021)
- Robert Morrison, “Can We Accurately Diagnose the Bergoglio Disorder Afflicting the Church?”, The Remnant (July 28, 2022)
- Jason Morgan, “Pope Refuses to Meet with Trump’s Pro-Life Sec. of State, Mike Pompeo”, The Remnant(Oct. 2, 2020)
- Pope Pius IX, Encyclical Quartus Supra (Jan. 6, 1873); plus missing passages
- The Catholic Teaching on the Papacy (Collection of quotes from the papal magisterium)
We believe the argumentation Hall offers is fairly poor: It is mainly subjective, contains flaws in reasoning, and is not terribly convincing overall.
But see for yourself: Watch Hall’s clip first and then our podcast response, and see which side you think has the better argument.
Beard or no beard.
Image source: YouTube (screenshot)
License: fair use