More on the ‘Sicilian Idol’…
Rocking Nun Suor Cristina: A Follow-Up
You’ve been living under a rock — no pun intended — if you haven’t yet heard about “Sister” Cristina Scuccia, the Novus Ordo nun that appeared on The Voice of Italy‘s talent contest on March 19, singing and dancing in a profane manner to the Alicia Keys song No One. This blog post is a follow-up to our original post covering the scandal, Suor Cristina: Novus Ordo Nun’s Got Talent.
It is quite disheartening, but not really surprising, that among Novus Ordos (“modern Catholics”) so far almost all of the reaction to this we have seen was positive. This is a testimony to the total absence of good Catholic sense in most adherents of the Vatican II religion, and it is certainly a consequence of the uncatholic doctrinal and moral poppycock they are fed on a weekly basis.
Some people genuinely wonder, “But what is so bad about a singing nun?” To this Catholics reply that, of course there is nothing wrong with a nun singing. That’s not the point. Nuns sing in the Sacred Liturgy all the time, and some have even published recordings for the edification and enjoyment of the faithful (see here and here, for example). It’s a question of what is sung, how, where, and why.
What Suor Cristina did was wrong for many reasons. Objectively, she sinned at least in the following ways (keep in mind that although all people are called to lead a moral life, religious have chosen to be “set apart” from the world and are therefore held to an even stricter standard):
- she profaned the sacredness and dignity of the religious life
- by trivializing it
- by subjecting it to sordid entertainment
- by causing an aversion for it in the hearts of those who recognize it as sacred
- by making it clear that despite her being a nun, she has obviously not died to the world
- by singing and performing to a song about romance
- she succumbed to vainglory
- by desiring to appear in a secular talent show
- by seeking the applause and admiration of the world
- by desiring worldly fame
- she danced profanely
- in a manner unbecoming of a religious
- which is never permitted for a religious (though some dances are permissible for the laity)
- she tempted her audience to unchaste thoughts
- by singing a song associated with a lewd singer
- by singing a song with somewhat suggestive lyrics
- she saluted Satan
- by flashing the devil’s horn
- by joking about the devil with the judges, as though Satan were not real or not a serious matter
- she implicitly endorsed Alicia Keys, a scandalously lewd singer
- by singing her song No One and dancing to it
- she implicitly endorsed The Voice of Italy and thus the many immoral things that take place during this show on a regular basis
- by participating in and appearing on the show itself
- thus suggesting the show is not beneath the dignity of a woman consecrated to God
- and implying that a good Catholic can watch and participate in such an indecent show
- she allowed a publicly scandalous male to hug her tightly, pick her up, and swirl her around
- not just any male, but a particularly vile character (rapper J-AX)
- she honored him by joining his “team” after her performance
- she implicitly endorsed the four judges (J-AX, Piero Pelù, Noemi, Raffaella Carrà)
- by performing in front of them
- by seeking their opinion
- as though they were to be looked up to by anyone
- as though their worldly judgment were to be held in esteem by religious or anyone else
- as though their judgment were of any value in the eyes of God
If you need further evidence of the sordidness of this whole spectacle, consider who some of the people are with whom Suor Cristina has now, in one way or another, associated herself and whom she has indirectly endorsed. We provide the following links only to document the facts about three of these people and urge caution because the material found there is offensive and immoral in various ways:
CAUTION! VILE CONTENT!
- Alicia Keys – “No One” Music Video
- Articolo 31 – “Domani Smetto” Music Video (Lead Singer is Rapper J-AX)
- Litfiba – “Proibito” Music Video (Lead Singer is Piero Pelù)
A look at these disgusting and depraved “celebrities” involved in this disgraceful spectacle further demonstrates the scandalous nature of the whole incident.
By her performance, Sister Cristina has mocked the consecrated life, profaned what is considered holy, paid homage to the gods of the secular world, and committed grave scandal (“scandal” being defined traditionally as something that is or appears evil and occasions another’s spiritual ruin). She has publicly sinned against the virtues of humility, modesty, purity, and piety, which she is called on to cultivate even more than non-religious (cf. Mt 5:48).
Yes, we are all sinners, but we must likewise all repent of our sins (see Lk 13:3). Hence we pray for Suor Cristina’s repentance and conversion of heart, that she would redress this terrible scandal she has caused. Until then, we will expose and condemn that which is a public scandal and therefore a great harm to souls.
Woe to the world because of scandals. For it must needs be that scandals come: but nevertheless woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh.
Cristina’s claim that she was doing this for purposes of “evangelization” is simply adding insult to injury.
Suor Cristina “evangelizing” rapper J-AX
One may speculate that “Pope” Francis (Jorge Bergoglio) himself will comment on Suor Cristina and her indecent performance, considering that he loves the limelight and this would be an excellent opportunity for him to score some more brownie points with all the wrong people. While we wouldn’t expect him to say something at his weekly general audience, it is quite likely he will be asked about it in his next interview, and you know it’s just a matter of time before another one is released.
Francis joked about the Crucifixion of Christ in a 2010 book, so you know he doesn’t have any qualms about ridiculing the sacred. He has also publicly stated on more than one occassion that he loves the Tango, an extremely sensual and raunchy dance condemned by Pope St. Pius X. In Buenos Aires, then-“Cardinal” Bergoglio even had a couple dance the Tango at “Mass”, as seen in this video here.
During her appearance on The Voice of Italy, Sr. Cristina mentioned that she was expecting to receive a call from Francis now. If he calls, he will undoubtedly express his approval. We recall that during World Youth Day ’13 in Rio de Janeiro, Francis had told the attendees he wanted them to “make a mess” in their dioceses, so we shouldn’t expect any less.
Holy Scripture, however, and 2,000 years of Catholic morality, tell us to convert the world, not to join in its wicked works:
- “Bear not the yoke with unbelievers. For what participation hath justice with injustice? Or what fellowship hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? Or what part hath the faithful with the unbeliever? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God; as God saith: I will dwell in them, and walk among them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore, Go out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing: And I will receive you; and I will be a Father to you; and you shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” (2 Corinthians 6:14-18)
- “Religion clean and undefiled before God and the Father, is this: to visit the fatherless and widows in their tribulation: and to keep one’s self unspotted from this world.” (James 1:27)
- “I have given them thy word, and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world; as I also am not of the world. I pray not that thou shouldst take them out of the world, but that thou shouldst keep them from evil. They are not of the world, as I also am not of the world.” (John 17:14-16)
- “For what shall it profit a man, if he gain the whole world, and suffer the loss of his soul?” (Mark 8:36)
- “Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist ye, strong in faith: knowing that the same affliction befalls your brethren who are in the world.” (1 Peter 5:8-9)
By the way, it turns out that Cristina Scuccia is no stranger to TV performances. More interesting background information can be found here:
As someone on another web site remarked: The only thing really shocking about Suor Cristina’s performance is that it shows there are still some Novus Ordo nuns who wear habits. Can’t argue with that.
Sister Cristina is a disgrace to all genuine Catholics. No wonder the world loves her (cf. Jn 15:18; Lk 6:26).
Image sources: youtube.com (screenshots)
Licenses: fair use
Be the first to start a conversation