Tradcast Express #166
Podcast: The Rev. Frank Pavone Defrocking Drama
The news that broke this past Saturday, Dec. 17, regarding the Rev. Frank Pavone having been removed from the [Novus Ordo] priesthood by ‘Pope’ Francis, has developed into a drama that will probably be with us for a while.
Our initial blog post, since revised with countless updates, can be accessed here:
Although one’s gut reaction upon first hearing this news may be to assume that the usual suspects in the Vatican are simply trying to delegitimize an outspoken opponent of abortion, it quickly becomes apparent that there is more to this story than meets the eye at first.
In TRADCAST EXPRESS 166, released late on Dec. 20, we seek to bring some clarity to the whole matter, trying hard to do justice to all parties involved. In such a controversial and sensitive matter, it is best to proceed dispassionately and systematically, identifying all the various issues involved and keeping separate things separate.
You can listen to our podcast episode in the players below:
Those who prefer a direct link to the audio can find it here.
A number of Novus Ordo and traditionalist commentators have weighed in on this controversy, and Pavone himself is currently giving one interview after another. Here is a small selection of articles and videos on this drama from various perspectives, in reverse chronological order:
- “Mutiny on the SS Newchurch: Pavone thrown overboard” (AKA Catholic)
- “Francis Revealed The REAL REASON Fr Frank Pavone Was Laicized” (Return to Tradition)
- Video: “SPECIAL REPORT: Father Pavone Cancelled?” (Catholic Family News)
- Video: “The PavoneGate Saga Continues: The One Question Frank Pavone Has Not Answered” (Reason & Theology)
- Video: “Father Frank Pavone talks with Dr. Taylor Marshall about Vatican decree”
- “Priests for Life’s Frank Pavone: ‘The Next Pope Can Reinstate Me’ to the Priesthood” (National Catholic Register)
- “The Sad Case of Frank Pavone” (Crisis)
- “The Frank Pavone story is not about abortion” (Our Sunday Visitor)
- “The Vatican’s action against Frank Pavone: overdue yet unexplained” (Phil Lawler at Catholic Culture)
- Video: “Thoughts on Fr. Pavone’s Dismissal from the Priesthood” (Fr. Stephen Imbarrato)
- “Father Pavone’s shocking laicization case reeks of illegality” (Life Site)
- Video: “Here Is What the ‘Blasphemy’ Charge Against Fr. Pavone Is All About” (Life Site)
- “‘Indefensible’: Pro-lifers, conservatives voice support for Fr. Pavone following Vatican laicization” (Life Site)
- Video: Novus Ordo apologist Michael Lofton weighs in on Frank Pavone controversy (Reason & Theology)
- “Canon lawyer on Father Pavone’s dismissal from priesthood: Only the Pope can issue a decision without appeal” (Catholic News Agency)
- “More on the Fr. Pavone Controversy!” (Les Femmes – The Truth)
- Rev. Frank Pavone releases Statement on his Defrocking (Priests for Life)
- “Anti-abortion priest Pavone defrocked for blasphemous posts” (Associated Press)
- BREAKING: Vatican dismisses Father Frank Pavone from priesthood (Catholic News Agency)
If you found our podcast helpful, please share it with others.
More TRADCAST EXPRESS can be found here; and our full-length, more elaborate TRADCAST episodes can be accessed here.
Image source: YouTube (screenshot)
License: fair use
Be the first to start a conversation